manchestergalore:

Bulls Head Hotel

Year:unknown (before 1930s)

In the early nineteenth century, the Market Place in Manchester was surrounded by a warren of passages, courts and yards. Many of these disappeared with the building of the first part of Corporation Street in 1843, but a good number still remained.

Here we are looking at Bulls Head Yard. The first pic (with the bearded gentleman is from 1930, the others are earlier). The Bulls Head had it’s entrance on the Market Place but around 1850, it sold it’s frontage and made it’s side entrance it’s main entrance . Bulls Head yard was once the stable yard for the pub.

The bulls head from about the main door was moved to keep watch over the yard. The head was thought to be part of the crest of the Derby family and had originally come from Knowsley Hall. - Sally Dervan

(Kaynak: facebook.com)